‘Always Be Grateful!’ is a series of write ups that provide ideas on how to be more grateful with every day life experiences. The series aims to instill the value of gratitude in any kind of lifestyle, not just travel.
I have been recommending Rhonda Byrne’s book, ‘The Magic’ to my family & friends since I finished reading it. I kept a journal and did one magic practice a day for a duration of 3 months. I would do one magic practice every other day or sometimes twice a week.
After doing all these magical practices, I slowly notice how different I see and do things.
When I wake up, I say thank you.
When something good happens, I always say thank you or that I’m grateful.
When something negative happens, I close my eyes and just say a reason why I’m grateful for what happened (i.e, I waited for an hour in line at a bank and I didn’t even get the request that I wanted, instead of getting angry, I just became grateful that I increased my patience level).
When I pass by vendors, an old lady asking for alms, security guards or street children, I say in my mind “Thank you for his or her increase in wealth” and sprinkle “magic dust” on them.
When I eat my food, I say thank you to all those people who made this meal possible (i.e, I was eating Bangus and I immediately thanked in my mind all the fishermen who caught this fish, those who processed it and packed it and delivered it to the palengke or supermarket, up to our kasambahay who cooked it for me).
The wallpaper of my cellphone is a picture with the words, THE GIFT OF HEALTH IS KEEPING ME ALIVE, so whenever I open my phone that’s the first thing that I see.
I keep a ₱20 in my wallet where I’ve written, Thank you for all the money I’ve been given throughout my life.
AND MANY MORE.
Slowly, the magic of gratitude is changing my life. I notice our family’s increase in wealth and love, I have more opportunities to travel, this year our family travels more often that we used to and few of those travels were luckily given to us for free, I find things that usually cannot be found, opportunities opened up for me to lose weight that don’t require high costs, I got a good job, I got a best friend back that I had a difficult relationship with when I was in high school AND MANY MORE.
I highly recommend you to read this book and be as sincerely grateful as you can for each magic practice. Each magic practice will just take 5-10 minutes of your 24-hour day. I copied the 28 magic practices just in case you have a very very busy life. After you’re done with all 28 magic practices, you can do them all again with no order. You can do 2-3 magical practices per day if you want.
I also want to give a shout out to Jack who gave me this lovely gift! 🙂 Thank you for this blessing! I’m very grateful 🙂
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
REFERENCE: Byrne, Rhonda. (2012). The Magic, New York: Atria Books
Purchase the book: www.thesecret.tv/products/the-magic-book or at National Bookstore (Philippines)
1. Make a list of ten blessings in your life that you are grateful for. Write why you’re grateful for each blessing. Go back and read your list, either in your mind or out loud. When you get to the end of each one, say the magic words, thank you, thank you, thank you, and feel the gratitude for the blessing as much as you possibly can.
2. Find a magic rock and put it by your bedside. Before going to sleep, hold your magic rock in your hand and think of the best thing that happened on that day. Say the magic words, thank you, for the best thing that happened on that day.
3. Choose three of your closest relationships and collect a photograph of each person. With the photo in front of you, write five things you are most grateful for about each person. Begin each sentence with the magic words, thank you, include their name, and what you’re specifically grateful for. Put them in a place where you will see them often. Look at the photographs on at least three occasions, speak to the person’s face in the photograph and thank them by saying the magic words,thank you,and their name.
4. On a piece of paper or cards, write the words: THE GIFT OF HEALTH IS KEEPING ME ALIVE. Place the piece of paper where you know you will see it often. On at least four occasions, read the words very slowly, and feel as grateful as you can for the precious gift of health.
5. Sit down and take a few minutes to think back through your childhood and all the things you received that were provided at no charge to you. As you recall each memory where money was paid for you, say and feel the magic words, thank you, with all your heart for each instance. Take a dollar bill or other small bill and write on a sticker that you place on the bill in big bold letters: THANK YOU FOR ALL THE MONEY I’VE BEEN GIVEN THROUGHOUT MY LIFE. Put the bill somewhere you will see it every day to remind you to continue to be grateful for the abundance of money you have been given in your life.
6. While at work today, imagine you have an invisible manager following you around taking notes every time you find something to be grateful for. Your job today is to look for as many things as you can to be grateful for. Have your “manager” make a note of each time you find something you’re grateful for, by saying: I’m grateful for _____, and feel as grateful as you can.
7. Choose one problem or negative situation in your life that you most want to resolve. List ten things that you are grateful for about the negative situation. At the end of your list, write: thank you, thank you, thank you for the perfect resolution. If you notice yourself thinking or saying something negative, use the magic lifeline. Stop immediately and say: But I have to say that I am really grateful for _______.
8. Before you eat or drink, take a moment to look at what you’re about to eat or drink, and in your mind or out loud, say the magic words, thank you!If you want you can sprinkle your food or drink with magic dust.
9. Take any current unpaid bills you have, use gratitude’s magical power and write across each one: thank you for the money. Feel grateful for having the money to pay the bill, whether you have it or not. Take ten bills you’ve paid in the past and write across the front of each one of them the magic words: “Thank you – PAID”. Feel truly grateful that you had the money to pay the bill.
10. Today, sprinkle magic dust on ten people who perform services you benefit from, by thanking them directly or otherwise by mentally acknowledging and thanking them. Feel grateful for the service they perform!
11. When you wake up to the new day, before you do a single thing, say the magic words, thank you. From the moment you open your eyes until you’ve finished getting ready, say the magic words, thank you, in your mind for everything you touch and use.
12. Find a quiet place alone some time during the day, and make a list of three people who made a difference in your life. Work through the list one person at a time and while talking out loud tell each person the reason why you’re grateful for them, and exactly how they affected the course of your life.
13. List your top ten desires. Write thank you three times before each one,as though you’ve already received it. Using your imagination, answer the following questions in your mind, as though you’ve received each of your ten desires: A) What emotions did you feel when you received your desire? B) Who was the first person you told when you received your desire, how did you tell them? C) What is the first great thing you did when you received your desire? If you life, create a Magic Board. Cut out pictures and attach them to your magic board, and put it in a place you see often. Title the board with THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU in big bold letters across the top.
14. In the morning, work your way in your mind through the plans you have for the day and evening until bedtime. With each plan or event, say the magic words, thank you, for it having gone well. Imagine that you’re saying thank you at the end of the day, and you’re immensely grateful because it went perfectly. After you’ve finished being grateful for all the plans in your day going brilliantly well, end this magical practice by saying: And thank you for the great news coming to me today!
15. Choose one, difficult, problematic, or broken relationship that you want to improve. Sit down and make a written list of ten things you’re grateful for about the person you’ve chosen. Write it down in the following way: (name), I’m grateful for _____.
16. Recollect three separate times throughout your life when you felt on top of the world, and give since thanks for those times. Think about five functions of your body that are well, and one by one give thanks for each one. Choose one thing about your body or health you want to improve, and spend one minute visualizing yourself with the ideal state of your body or health. Then give thanks for this ideal state.
17. Fill in your magic check with the amount of money you want to receive, along with your name and today’s date.Hold your magic check in your hands and imagine purchasing the specific think you want the money for. Feel as happy and grateful as you can that you have received it. Put the magic check where you will see it often. On at least two occasions, take the check in your hands, picture yourself using the money for what you want and feel as grateful as though you were really doing it. When you have received the money on your check, or if you receive the item you wanted to spend the money on, replace the check with a new amount for something else you want and repeat this practice. Download the magic check from The Secret – Magic Check
18. Create a written list of the most important things or problems you need done or solved. Title your list The Magical To-Do List. Choose three of the most important things from your list,and one at a time, imagine that each thing has been done for you. Spend at least one minute on each thing, believing it is done, and feeling enormous gratitude in return.
19. Take one hundred Magic Footsteps (for about ninety seconds) in gratitude any time during the day. With each footstep, say and feel the magic words, thank you.
20. Focus your mind and your attention on the area around your heart. Close your eyes, and while keeping your mind focused on your heart, mentally say the magic words, thank you. Take your top ten desire list and practice heart magic by reading each desire, then closing your eyes, focusing your mind on the area around your heart, and slowly saying thank you, again.
21. At the beginning of the day, choose three things or situations that are important to you where you want Magnificent Outcomes. List your three things, and write each one as though you are writing after it has happened: Thank you for the magnificent outcome to _______! As you go through your day, choose three unexpected events that come up in your day where you can be grateful for a magnificent outcome. Each time, close your eyes and mentally say and feel: Thank you for the magnificent outcome to______!
22. At the start of the day, take your top ten desire list that you created. Read through each sentence and desire on your life, and for one minute imagine or visualize that you have received your desire. Feel as much gratitude as you can. Carry your desire list with you. On at least two occasions in the day, take out your list, read through it, and feel as much gratitude as you can.
23. Five times today, stop and think about the glorious air that you breathe. Take five deliberate breaths, and feel the feeling of the air moving inside your body, and feel the joy of breathing it out. After you have taken the five breaths, say the magic words: Thank you for the magical air that I breathe. Be as grateful as you can for the precious, live-giving, air that you breathe.
24. Choose three people you care about and who you would like to help with more health, wealth, happiness, or all three. If you have them, collect a photograph of each of the three people and keep it in front of you while doing the Magic Wand practice. Take one person at a time, and hold their photo in your hand. Close your eyes and for one minute visualize the person’s health, wealth or happiness has been fully restored, and you’re receiving the news. Open your eyes, and with the photo still in your hand, say the magic words slowly: Thank you, thank you, thank you for (name)’s health, wealth or happiness. As you finish with one person, move on to the next person and follow the same steps until you’ve finished the Magic Wand practice for all three people.
25. Today, be alert to what’s around you, and take at least seven gratitude cues from the events in your day. For example, if you see someone with your perfect weight, say, “Thank you for my perfect weight!”
26. Choose one mistake you made in your life. Find a total of ten blessings you’re grateful for as a result of making that mistake, and write them down. To help you find blessings, you can ask yourself the questions: What did I learn from the mistake? And: What are the good things that came out of the mistake?
27. Each time you look at yourself in a mirror today, say thank you, and mean it more than you ever have before. If you’re really brave, while looking in the mirror say three things you’re grateful for about yourself.
28. Remember The Magic by continuing blessings of yesterday, and writing them down. Ask yourself the question: What are the good things that happened yesterday? Scan the surface of yesterday until you feel satisfied that you’ve remembered and written down all the blessings of the day. As you remember each one, simply say the magic words, thank you, for it in your mind. After, you can do this practice as a written list or out loud in your mind. You can make a quick list of things you’re grateful for about yesterday, or make a shorter and more detailed list and say why you’re grateful for them.
Whoever has gratitude will be given more, and he or she will have an abundance. Whoever does not have gratitude,even what he or she has will be taken from him or her.
Follow these practices.
Read the book.
Live the book.
Live gratefully! 😉